Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Short Blog

(I started this post last night-Thursday-and was unable to actually post it. The infomation updates are for Friday, Oct. 20th) I just got done reading my sister's blog and I would like to say thank you to her for keeping everyone updated about Mia. Needless to say, my intention, every evening, is to sit and blog, but it has been difficult to find the time. The biggest news today is that I was able to hold Mia for the first time today. It was absolutely amazing! They call it "kangaroo care". They place Mia on my chest, skin to skin. Then we just sit and rock and I talk to her or hum. She has to have her temperature taken every 15 minutes to be sure that she isn't getting too cold. After about 45 minutes, she had to go back into her isolette, but it was sooooo nice! She is such a strong girl! My sister took pictures and as soon as I get those I will post them. Scott will be able to hold her on Monday. Then, next week we can increase the "Kangaroo Cares" to 3 and then 4 the week after that, etc... The rest of today's update is that, first, they increased Mia's feedings to 1 cc every 2 hours, and then later in the day to 2 cc every 2 hours. She's been tolerating the feedings very well. She is also on her tummy now and that seems to make a big difference. Since she first arrived in the NICU, she has kept her nurses very busy as she to pulls out her nasal prongs and pulls off her leads. She loves to pull at her wires and really freaked out her Aunt Cathy by pulling VERY HARD on her umbilicus lines (the IV lines in her belly button). They took out her umbilicus lines last night and put in a PICC Line (we found out that this stands for Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter) in her arm. This is better because it cuts down on her chances of infection by having one main line for draws and injections. But, with her on her tummy she has FINALLY been resting very well. She had another echocardiogram this morning and we were able to get the result this evening. Basically, the holein her heart hasn't changed and so they are going to wait and see. The medication they sometimes use can affect her kidney functioning and they don't want to do anything negative at this point because she is doing so well. Mia is on antibiotics until tomorrow night to be sure that she was not exposed to any infection when she was born. Her cultures came back negative, but she will continue to be on antibiotics As my brain is now fading on me, I will sign off for now and say THANK YOU! Scott, Annemarie, Mia and I have only come this far with the strength and peace that God has given us. And we have felt the love and prayers of all those who are holding us up in prayer. So, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

No comments: