Tuesday, July 22, 2008

So Big

Well, I'm blogging-like I promised! But, we are well into summer and we have our bouts of being extremely busy and then a little less busy. So, one thing about not blogging in so long is that I have to try to remember what has happened. Let's see.... Mia saw her GI doctor and we have been working on weaning her from her two medications for her GERD. Right now, she has been taken off one medication completely and the other is down to half of her previous dose. So far, so good. (But, to get to this point, we had alot of gurgling and discomfort and even a few episodes of barf!!). She will go back in two months and then we'll see what to do next. Mia's teacher still comes for play therapy once a week (with a few breaks for the summer) and she is very happy with Mia's progress. She's doing great with her shape sorters and blocks. And today, she was able to do great partial animal sounds for cat, dog, horse, cow, pig and sheep!!! I just about fell over! But, she's always surprising us with how incredibly smart she is--she just has to do things in her own time......
At the end of June, Mia saw an Occuaptional Therapist to be evaluated for her fine and gross motor skills and what appeared to be some oral sensory issues (overstuffing her mouth with food, not consistently chewing her food on her back teeth.....). It was a great appointment!! Mia was reluctant but Annette, her OT, said that that was normal. Basically, Mia does have Oral Sensory Aversion, but Annette feels that with some home therapies, she'll do fine. She said that she could see Mia once a week in clinic but that she's afraid Mia wouldn't be very cooperative and I agree!! So, she gave us a big packet of instructions and I've already seen Mia making progress.
Probably the big news is.....SHE'S FINALLY WALKING!! Mia's been walking on her knees since February or so and became really good at it actually. But she took her first steps in March and then would only waddle from here to there for awhile. That turned into a little more stable waddling and cruising between furniture. Mia was evaluated again by the physical therapist at the beginning of June and she said that she couldn't see much wrong except for a little wobbling in Mia's ankles. She suggested some Stride Rite shoes for support so we zipped over to Riverside to get those. Now, I don't know if it was the shoes or she just decided it was time, or......But then, when Scott and I were in Vegas, she took off. Now, the girls are teaching her to run and she's getting pretty good at it! She will still drop down to her knees with some occasional crawling, but she looks so big walking around the house.
And before I forget, the stats: Mia is now 21 months (18 months corrected). As of June 18th, she weighed 25 lbs. 6 oz. and was 32 1/2 inches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG!! Mia is getting so big :-d and I hardley recognize Annie. She has sprouted up since I last saw her. I hope you guys are having a great summer!!