
Well, it doesn't seem like a whole lot has happened since Tuesday, but then when I thought about what to blog, I guess alot has happened....Mia was put on a nasal cannula Wednesday morning and has stayed on it! She fluctuates between 21 and 28% oxygen and gets a little pressure every once in a while. She is having spells because she is having to work harder to breathe. But, the thing I have to keep reminding myself is that, as far as her body is concerned, she isn't even supposed to be breathing right now!! So, spells every once in awhile are expected! She is at her goal feeding-14 cc every 2 hours. She has had some large aspirates. Sometimes they waste it and give her a fresh feeding and sometimes they give it back to her to see what she does. It all depends on how her oxygen saturation is, what position she was laying in, etc... They have also started adding vitamin fortifier to the breast milk. This gives her iron, vitamins and extra calories. Her goal caloric intake per feeding is 24 calories. Right now she is at 23. Yesterday, she was at 21, so they're moving her along pretty quickly. I have a feeling it's becasue she is a little behind the curve for where they'd like to see her. She didn't feed for 10 days because of the NEC and so her weight(back to 2 lbs., 9 oz. today after 2 lbs., 10 oz. yesterday) is low (I think); not low enough that anyone is worried, but she will be 32 weeks (her gestational age) next Tuesday. Sometimes, kids her age are already learning to use a bottle or to nurse by now. Now, for those of you that know me, hold off on the comments--I'm not worried that she's behind or freaking out that she's not where she "should be". SHE'S FINE! She's where she needs to be right now. ANYWAY! She has also had the heat/humidity changed in her isolette. The isolette used to heat up and cool down as Mia needed. Now, it stays at one tempertature and Mia has to work to keep her temperature regulated. Now, it is still quite warm in her isolette, but this is the beginning of trying to get her into an open crib!
No comments:
Post a Comment